May 25, 2023
Russian Blini with Salmon Roe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Salmon roe
- Sour cream or creme fraiche
- Fresh dill or chives (for garnish)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, milk, egg, melted butter, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until the batter is smooth and free of lumps.
- Let the batter rest for about 15 minutes to allow the gluten to relax.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat and lightly grease it with butter or oil.
- Pour a small amount of batter onto the skillet, spreading it out into a thin, round shape. Cook until the edges start to lift and the bottom turns golden brown, then flip and cook the other side until golden.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter, adjusting the heat as needed.
- Once all the blini are cooked, let them cool slightly.
- Place a dollop of sour cream or crème fraîche on each blini.
- Top with a spoonful of salmon roe.
- Garnish with fresh dill or chives for added freshness and visual appeal.
- Serve the Russian blini with salmon roe immediately, optionally accompanied by lemon wedges for a tangy twist.
These Russian blini with salmon roe are a delightful combination of soft and fluffy blini with the pop of flavor from the roe. They are perfect for brunch, appetizers, or special occasions. Enjoy the vibrant colors and exquisite taste of this classic Russian dish.